January 16, 2013 Leave a comment
The most common search term that lands a person at my blog usually incorporates the words quadricep exercise and arthritis. I have already covered the topic here but I thought I would explain another exercise that you can do to strengthen your quadriceps if you have arthritis in your knees.
This is not only for those with arthritis, if you still find wall squats difficult for any reason then this might be a good substitute. This exercise does need a piece of equipment, a resistance band. Now you can get various different types of resistance bands, if you have any problems with your wrists I recommend you get ones with a handle.
As this exercise is for a large muscle group I recommend you get one of the heavier resistance bands.
I will be doing some more articles using resistance bands as they really are perfect for throwing in your bag and taking with you for a walk around the park.
Leg Press using resistance band
- Sit on a bench/chair, bend your left knee, and lift your foot from the ground. You can lean back slightly during the exercise but be careful that your don’t slump with rounded shoulders.
- Wrap the center of the resistance band around your left foot and hold both ends of the band in your hands. Your hands should be either side of your body at about waist level. Your toes should be pointed down at a slight angle.
- Pushing out with your foot straighten your left leg out in front of your body and stop just before locking your knee.
- Bend your knee slowly to return slowly to your starting position.
- Do 5 repetitions and change leg.
Remember to do this exercise slowly to get the full benefit, there should always be tension in the band.
Once you are comfortable doing 5 repetitions on each leg then increase the number of repetitions you do.
Before starting any new exercise program please check with your doctor and clear any exercise changes with them.
For more information on Personal Training please go here Whole Life Fitness, Personal Training for the over 50s. This will open a new browser window.